Higher Grounds seeks a full-time coffee Roaster/Production Assistant, whose primary responsibility will entail roasting all necessary coffees as directed by the Head Roaster. The Production Roaster is also expected to assist in the packaging and shipping of roasted coffee, inventory management, and to participate in quality control sessions, demonstrating an ability to evaluate coffees through various brew methods.
- Develop a thorough understanding of Higher Grounds’ roast style, operations, and daily work flow.
- Roast coffee daily as directed by Lead Roaster, utilizing Cropster roasting software.
- Show a thorough understanding of roasting and the variables that impact cup quality.
- Assist with weekly maintenance of our Diedrich IR-24 roasting machine.
- Keep roast area in clean, orderly state throughout the day.
- Assist with receiving of green coffee as well as prepping production roasts on a daily basis.
- Set up and participate in regular cuppings (3x/wk) according to SCA standard.
- Package organic coffee beans to quality standards.
- Sticker and prepare bags of coffee for shipment/delivery.
- Stage green and roasted coffee in roasting and packing areas.
- Complete inventory and process logs accurately and to specifications.
- Follow instructions and priorities from roasting and customer service staff.
- Maintain a clean and organized production area in accordance with prescribed safety standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High level of accuracy
- Team oriented
- Mechanical aptitude
- Bias towards action
- Results driven
- Problem solving/analysis
- Pleasant persistence
- Two years’ coffee roasting experience strongly preferred.
- A passion for specialty coffee and a human-centric approach preferred.
- An enthusiastic supporter of social justice and environmental sustainability.
- Enjoy a fast paced, energetic, ever-evolving workplace.
- Experience in other areas of specialty coffee a plus.
- Comfortable with manual labor: the ability to lift 40 pounds repeatedly, more weight occasionally including the ability to manipulate 152 pounds of coffee, and be active and on feet all day.
- Self-directed, self-motivated, detail-oriented, and able to multi-task.
- Willingness to creatively improve and organize production system as needed.
- Pleasant disposition in dealing with customers/co-workers.
- Dedicated to constantly improving quality.
- Good math skills.
This role is in a production environment that requires lifting of up to 50 pounds, manipulation of up to 152 pounds and repetitive movement.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.